Old 31-07-2004, 10:34 AM
Dave Poole

Default Can you ID this plant please?

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 23:54:35 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

I'd just like to tuck some into a corner of our garden and let Himself take
his chances. ;-) And thank you, in advance.

The good thing about Belamcanda is that you can sow the seed in early
February and have flowers in July. Admittedly the plants are rather
short in the first year (usually to around 1ft.or less), but you get a
fair splash of colour. Ultimately, expect them to grow to between 2
and 2.5 feet. (I've changed my thoughts upon the ID of the plant
shown by the OP - see last para.)

Belamcanda is a monotypic genus (just a single species) and is fairly
stable colour-wise, which means you can have any colour as long as its
orange. I first grew it well over 30 years ago and partnered it with
a creamy yellow form of Coreopsis verticillata. It was a very stylish
combination, which I would happily repeat if the little patch here
wasn't wholly given over to sub-tropical plants. I strongly urge
others to try it.

Belamcanda has been crossed with a related genus - Pardanthopsis
(dichotoma) to give x Pardancanda and the most commonly available
form is x P. norrissii or 'Candy Lilly'. This is larger and more
vigorous in every way with colours ranging from deep burgundy and
purple through to orange and yellow. It grows to hip high with good
2" wide flowers over a slightly longer period. Not wishing to
denigrate Belamcanda, but the hybrid is rather better IMO.

Having had a chance to think a bit more about it, I reckon the plant
in the pic is x P. norrissii, which means that seedlings from it are
likely to give a range of colours. All to the better I say.

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.
Growing season: March - November