Old 05-08-2004, 12:06 AM
Rodger Whitlock

Default Harvesting Garlic

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 08:08:09 +0100, Seb Flyte wrote:

...I have 16 good heads and 200+ individual cloves. Many of
these are of a good size and can be used. The smallest I will replant
although I see this is not recommended.

You should always put aside the best as your seed stock for the
next season. If you plant the runts, you will be selecting for
runtiness. Remember that even though propagated vegetatively,
there is some variation in the progeny.

BTW, "best" means best bulbs (or heads) not just best cloves.
When you lift your garlic, you should look over the yield and
select the one or two bulbs that have a good compromise between
number of cloves and size of cloves give the use you intend for
them.

If you only look over the individual cloves, you might be
selecting ones that came from bulbs with many other small cloves,
or very few cloves.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada