Old 05-08-2004, 02:05 AM
Steveo

Default New House - want to plant new lawn using seeds

(Rick) wrote:
Hello,
I am building a new home, and it is near completion.
The construction crew leveled off the lot, and then placed existing
black dirt on top.
Over the past month, the entire yard is full of weeds.
Guess there was alot of weeds existing in the black top soil.

Once I move in (in about a month) I want to plant grass seed.
I am a newbie, and need to know what the best course of action is.

1. Should I somehow kill all the weeds first? If so, what is the best
and least expensive way.

Yes, in fact consider killing it now or asap. Roundup is the only
real choice, it's not expensive in comparison to what else you're
about to do.

I live in Chicago, and the weather is really cold in the winter and
really warm in the summer. I have heard that early fall is a good
time to plant a new lawn.

Also, any recommendations on a good grass seed to use for this
climate?

Thanks so much.

Rick

I'm assuming it's mostly full sun..get someone to rock-hound it
with a skid-steer, then plant a turf type tall fescue/blue/rye
blend. Even better if they hydro-seed that blend for you, if not
be sure to straw it after you spread the seed and starter fertilizer.

Use at least 10 lbs of seed per 1000 sq ft. You'd like to have it
planted by Sept 1 in Chicago.