Old 05-08-2004, 12:49 PM
Matt

Default Clematis

A general rule of thumb with clematis is it takes 3 years to become well
established. You won't see any more blooms this season, but you will get
some next season. The following year, you should get lots of blooms and it
should really take off after that. Be sure to prune it properly depending
on which type of clemetis it is. You may also need to offer some winter
protection depending on which clematis you have.
How big the plant will get really depends on which cultivar you have. Some
clematis only grow 4' to 6' tall, while others can reach 30' tall.
good luck,
Matt in MI

"wayneandmary" wrote in message
I just planted a clematis this spring. It was looking terrible, only

about
6 inches tall, and so I pinched it way back and now it is coming back

okay,
probably a foot and a half long and two rungs up on the trellis. My
question is, will I have any blooms this year, doesn't look good so far,

and
how big can I expect it to get next year? I am in Cold Zone 3, my sister
has an old beautiful one at her house, it was there before she moved in,

so
she doesn't know how long it takes to establish.

Anyone out there help me?

thanks