Old 05-08-2004, 02:56 PM
Jim Carlock

Default Lazy Fly Trap

Found some good information:

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionar...s%20fly%20trap

That page indicates the plants need to be watered with distilled
water, because tap water will slowly kill the plant. It also indicates
that you should never feed it hamburger. It suggest placing the
plant into a tray of water to keep the soil moist and somewhere
I just read that the actual leaf of the fly trap is the carnivorous
part of the plant and the plant itself is still gets most of it's energy
through photosynthesis (ie, sunlight hitting the leaves). A leaf
will die after 2 or 3 entrapments of flies.

They seem to have originated in a 100 mile radius of Wilmington,
North Carolina.

Apparently North Carolina has put laws into effect that make
people criminals for collecting wild fly traps. :-(

The following link is pretty neat and educational...
http://amos.indiana.edu/library/scri...usflytrap.html

--
Jim Carlock
http://www.microcosmotalk.com/

"David Kotschessa" wrote:

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004, paghat wrote:

I've a few larger bug-eatin' pitcher plants that do well outdoors, & when
I clip out older pitchers, they're always stuffed with exoskeletons. I've
frequently been weeding or working nearby & heard buzzing inside the
pitchers. One that is very low-growing seems to have a decided preference
for earwigs & wood louses, while a toller one gets moths & flies & wasps.

But the idea that a wee indoor venus flytrap might catch flies all over
the house was, at best, a delusional hope.

I know...i KNOW!! {sobs uncontrollably}

Actually it wasn't really so much that I wanted it to take care of my fly
problem. I just thought it'd be a win-win situation. "You eat flies, I
got flies. Join the family!"

If you want to see it capture
its own food, enclose it in a terrarium or set a belljar over it, with a
few baby crickets (from the petstore) turned loose in the same finite
space, & you will see flytraps feed themselves just fine.

-paghat the ratgirl

Hmm, well, I don't have cable so...

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"