Old 02-08-2004, 01:03 AM
gregpresley

Default Help with moving perennials

I agree with the person who said that you probably ought to get the
permission of the new buyers/owners to remove some plants. But if getting
that permission makes you nervous, the other option would be to divide and
replant - i.e., put a spade down the middle of the clump producing
perennials, then dig around the entire plant, take one half of the clump and
replant the other half in the same spot. (So that the new owners are still
getting the same garden that existed when they bought). If you have access
to the plants until Sept 1, I'd do all of this on August 31st. or August
30th. The later you do this, the closer you are to cooler weather and the
less stress the plants will suffer during transplanting. Have your new beds
prepared with the soil ready, and the garden hose ready to water them in
immediately.
"FayeC" wrote in message
Hi,

I am moving on August 15th (have access to the plants until September 1st)
and after having invested a lot of time, energy and TLC on my garden I am
not about to leave all my perennial behind.....
I planted most of the perennials from seed and only had one flowering

season
after 3 summers from most of them. That's why I am thinking of taking some
mature plants with me so I can enjoy their flowers next year instead of
growing them from seed all over again.
The thing is.....I never transplanted any perennial before. At least not

my
own I mean so I have no clue of what to do to ensure both the root ball

that
is staying and the one that is going live through it.
I would appreciate your help in learning the right way to transplant these
plants and also if this is the best time for them or not. Some are in full
bloom right now.....
The plants I am talking about a
Coreopsis (pink), Galliardia, Agastache, Cupid's Dart, Lupin, Blue Flax,
Clove, Evening Primrose and Snow in the summer. There are a couple more

but
I don't remember their names as I got the seeds from a friend and she

didn't
mark the packages.
I would like to leave some of the plants behind if possible as the garden

is
very pretty as it is and I would like to leave some of it to grow next
summer. On the other hand if splitting the root system will cause the

plant
to die then I rather take it all instead.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me. I appreciate any tip,
link, personal experience you can send me.

FayeC