Old 02-08-2004, 07:22 AM
Patrick Scheible

Default Some questions for growing roses. Newbie who doesn't know much.

Um... what are you trying to do, exactly? Do you have a plant of the
rose in the picture? Do you want to store them for a few days while
you sell them? Grow stems to sell as florist roses?

Most florist roses are bred, marketed, and grown completely
differently from garden roses. Florist roses are grown in greenhouses
to be completely insect-free, given massive chemical aid, perfect
temperatures, etc. In return, they give large numbers of perfect
blooms. Garden roses, on the other hand, expect to survive in the
garden. It would be a small miracle if a garden rosarian was able to
identify a florist rose variety for you. Especially from a small and
cluttered picture of just the blooms -- try several shots of the
plant, stalk, bud, open bloom, faded bloom. Does the plant bloom
once, in flushes, or continuously through the spring and summer?

It'd be easier and more reliable to ask the florist who sells them to
ask his/her distributor what they are. There are tens of thousands,
maybe hundreds of thousands, of varieties in the garden rose trade,
and lots more in the florist trade.

-- Patrick

(Matt) writes:

I hope you all can help me with my questions about rose growing.
First some probally needed information:

I'm not making a rose garden, just a place where I can give the roses
away.
I'm in Central Florida.

Now for the questions:

------------ General Questions: ------------

1) What kind of roses are these,
http://www.2dozenroses.com/Merchant2...01/25redSP.jpg ?

2) I was read that they need the sun but if given to hot of the sun
(mid to late afternoon) it is also not good. So it's good to have
them in spots of sunshine during hot days?

------------ If they will grow in pots: ------------
1) What are the requirements for them to be able to grow in the pots?

2) What is the coldest temperature I can leave them outside, and will
they be able to grow if I bring them inside and they still have
sunlight on them?

------------ If they won't grow in pots: ------------

1) What preperations do I need to make where the will be planted? How
big will the space need to be?

If you can answer any of these questions it will be greatly
appreciated!!

Thanks!