Old 02-08-2004, 04:01 PM
Bungadora

Default Help with moving perennials

I suspect from your service provider that you are in Canada, and many of the
people I know with that ISP are in western Canada. The issue in transplanting
in late summer might not be heat stress so much, but rather whether or not the
plant will have time to re-establish a root system and store up any resources
before it goes to sleep in the fall. We only have until mid-September/October
until the big freeze (only 2 months left, yeeks!), with frost likely any time
after late August, possibly earlier. Your survival rate over the winter might
not be so good because you are really stressing them moving this late in the
season. However, you have nothing to lose. Watch the weather forecast. Just
pick the coolest day you can and move them asap. Water well. Put a good mulch
down in the fall.
Dora (not D'oro)

FayeC"

I can actally move them straight to thier final home as we will have 2 weeks
to move out of here.
So I will have time to create a new bed for them at the new house and only
dig them up when everything is ready for them to be planted there.

Thanks,

FayeC

"William Wagner" wrote in message

I'd just add that if you have a place to plant your plants or at least
hill them in as soon as possible it is a good thing. Lose is related
to time spent in unfavorable environment. I like the idea of doing
transplant on a small scale which may not be possible.

Also this is a good time to wonder if some of your mistakes should
make the move.

Good Luck!

William(Bill)

--
Zone 5 S Jersey USA Shade Earth sometimes.
There is atleast one word misspelled deliberately in the above post. )