Old 02-08-2004, 04:50 AM
Doug Kanter

Default Dahlia disaster!

"Vox Humana" wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
The sale of those those tomato cages is aimed at the same type of person

who
buys a Chrysler mini-van. Hopefully, the customer learns their lesson

and
never goes back. And no self respecting Large Plant (dahlia, tomato)

will
last long in such a cage. Finally, the fastening method you used had
absolutely ZERO reasons to be successful.

Live and learn. In the past I just let them sprawl. They did fine, but

it
was messy. I was thinking about the wire fence method that you mentioned.
I'm sure it would be far superior to the tomato cage. The biggest problem
wasn't that the cages fell over, but that they weren't tall enough.

The rolls of fence wire come in 4', 5' and 6' heights. I use 5' for
tomatoes. I haven't grown big dahlias in years, so I don't recall how huge
they get.