Old 02-08-2004, 07:54 PM
Wil

Default Stella Dora Plants

Standard all-purpose Miracle Grow is 15-30-15 plus micronutrients. If you
have
this formulation you can make it 'low-nitrogen' by using less of the

crystals in
a given volume of water. The recommended usage rate is 1 tablespoon per

gallon
of water, but if you simply reduce the amount to 1 teaspoon per gallon of

water
you will effectively have a 5-10-5 formulation, without having to buy

another
fertilizer.

Miracle Grow is also formulated as a 'bloom booster'. That ratio of
macronutrients is 10-52-10, and also includes micronutrients. You can
effectively reduce the nitrogen (and other components) by half by using 1
tablespoon in 2 gallons of water, instead of the recommended 1 tablespoon

in 1
gallon of water.

Yes indeed, thanks for pointing this out. At one time it seems that Miracle
Grow was a different formula with a higher nitrogen ratio. I may be wrong
about that. I know Osmocote comes in different ratio forumlas so the box
should be read to know exactly what ratio of Nitrogen-phosphorus-potash
[N-P-K] is in the particular fertilizer.

Also there is a time to use a high nitrogen fertilizer. I do use it if
foliage looks sluggish. However, too many home gardeners seem to think if a
little Miracle grow is good then more will cure all plant problems or uses
it at the wrong time.

Wil