Old 02-08-2004, 06:20 PM
Vox Humana

Default Dahlia disaster!

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

Yeah...I have some cannas that I've been caring for, even while in an
apartment. They're 10 years old, and required 8 million dollars worth of

big
pots and soil, but well worth it.

I had some left and no place to plant them so I put them in huge pots. My
deck got so overgrown with stuff that I had to move one of the pots last
week. That was job! Now I have two brugmansias that are taking over. They
started three years ago as six inch plants in tiny pots. Now they are
approaching 6 feet and are sprawling. I had to repot them a couple of
weeks. I hope I can move them inside this winter. Each pot took 60 pounds
of potting soil -- before adding the 6 foot tall plant with its already
heavy rootball. One is putting on its first really spectacular display of
flower. They have only had a boom here and there. Now one of them is
covered with flowers and in the evening you can smell it for a considerable
distance. In the winter I have several 20 gal. pots of bananas, the brugs,
and a madevilla to bring in along with boxes of cannas and some dahlias.