Old 05-08-2004, 10:19 PM
escapee

Default Brugmansia trouble

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 15:49:51 GMT, "Vox Humana" opined:

Thanks for the reply. I will post some pictures somewhere soon. (I could
email them to you if you want, but you will have to email me with a valid
address.) I will also look again at the above website. That is where I
got the information for trying to root the last cuttings I tried to
register for the forum at that site on 07/24 and got a reply that my request
had been received but I would have wait for another email before I had
access to the forum. So far, no follow-up email. I tried to access the
forum yesterday before posting here, but no luck.

You are right about them being very heavy feeders and needing a LOT of water
in containers. I have been feeding them with 12-12-12 twice a week as they
tend to get chlorotic and drop leaves if left unfed. They also demand
constant watering. Our weather has been unseasonably cool this year and I
suspect that is why the one that split has boomed so prolifically. In the
past, it only started to bloom when the evening temperatures dropped. Then
shortly afterwards I would have to bring it inside where and let it go
dormant. I have a picture from September of last year and that is the first
time it really bloomed heavily. I have a white one that is not blooming. I
had one or two flowers on it a few weeks ago, and it has one bud right now.
That plant has larger, longer, lighter, and slightly more hairy leaves. The
flowers are a bit more waxy and the fragrance is so strong that a single
flower will perfume the entire yard. I would really like to have that one
get a couple dozen blooms on it at once, like the troublesome pink one.

I find the B. suavolens is extremely temperamental regarding temperatures. It
does not bloom for me at all during the months of summer. The one you have
with the hairy leaves may be B. candida or B.spp. I have a few whites, single
and double, along with 'Peaches and Cream' and 'Charles Grimaldi.' Here's
another site to go to:

http://www.brugmansias.org/siteindex.html