Old 02-08-2004, 12:25 PM
George

Default Pond Salt

"ciel" wrote in message
k...
Hi Guys

I have a dilemma
I want to use some salt in my pond BUT.......

All my local suppliers ie: Aquatics Centres have a product PDV (pure Dried
Vacuum) Salt
This has Anti Caking agent E535 (Sodium ferrocyanide)
They are ALL totally adamant and swear they have used this product for 20+
years with no problems
Several of these suppliers have Very large stocks of BIG Koi in ponds with
this salt added..
BUT According to several web sites I have looked at ie: www.puregold etc
They say NO to this additive as it turns to Cyanide when used........

What should I do?

Chris

If in doubt, don't use it. I've nerver heard of using this product for live
garden ponds. If anyone else has any experience with it, please speak up. I
use about a half a cup of sea salt, and about a half a cup of epsom salt. I add
it after every other addition of water (about once a month), after which I check
the water quality.