Old 06-08-2004, 01:11 AM
Zing

Default Clematis

"wayneandmary" wrote in message
news:M_eQc.227984$JR4.138899@attbi_s54...
I just planted a clematis this spring. It was looking terrible, only

about
6 inches tall, and so I pinched it way back and now it is coming back

okay,
probably a foot and a half long and two rungs up on the trellis. My
question is, will I have any blooms this year, doesn't look good so far,

and
how big can I expect it to get next year? I am in Cold Zone 3, my sister
has an old beautiful one at her house, it was there before she moved in,

so
she doesn't know how long it takes to establish.

Anyone out there help me?

thanks

Check out the Washington Post's website (Garden section). Excellent article
written by (I think) a guy at the National Arboretum is excellent & will
tell you everything you want to know. It's a registry site BTW.

Long & short: Ideally, dig a hole 4 feet deep (yes, four). Two is OK, but
digging only to the contours of the nursery post delays development. Foliage
likes sun, roots like it cool and damp. 3 years needed for good blooming, so
be patient. Good luck.