Old 06-08-2004, 02:12 AM
Bill Freeman

Default Mower won't mulch like it used to

Dave,

I think you answered the question(s). Depending on the type of
grass, a high height (recommended, which is what you do) cut does what it
should. If the grass is cleanly cut but not "macerated" (mulched) then I
suspect it's the type of grass being cut and the amount being cut. Try
mulching it at less than a 1/3 height cut. I suspect that's your problem
(all our problems). Mulching works best on a "crew" haircut style.

Bill

DaveL wrote in message
Bill Freeman wrote:

Dave,

What do your normal blade and discharge chute cuttings look

like?
How long are they on a 3- 4" grass height? What is your normal grass
cutting height?

Not quite sure what you are asking. I haven't tried it without the
discharge blocking plate (blowback bar?) for a long time. I have the
mower set at it's highest clipping height, clipping at a lower level
seems worse as there is not as much turf left to drop the clippings
into. I'm guessing that the grass is about 4" long when I cut it, and I
cut off about 1/3 (perhaps a bit more) of that length.

The clippings that remain on the lawn appear like they were cut once and
dropped - not recycled into the blade for further 'processing'.

Dave