Old 30-07-2004, 02:11 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Palm trees (was Roses) in Scotland

In article ,
"Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat" writes:

| I saw palm trees around and about Langholm a couple of weeks ago (don't
| remember exactly where they were though !) But I can also tell you that, in
| an unrelated tangent, they grow in certain places in Brighton on the beach.
| In a pot set in the ground, I shouldn't wonder.

There are a few species of palm that are hardy enough to grow in
the warmest parts of the UK, and Brighton beach counts. If we
have a winter such as was common 25 years back, a lot of them
will die. If we have another 1962/3, even more will.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.