Old 31-07-2004, 11:36 PM
Vox Humana

Default Removing ferns and recovering space

"Ravi" wrote in message
om...
There are three ferns in my backyard, each over seven feet tall. I
don't know the specific variety. These were planted by the previous
owner along the fenceline with the adjacent properties. I would like
to replace them with another set of plants or trees. Is it possible
to remove and recover space from plants that size? The trunks are
large and I am assuming that the root system must be quite extensive.
Just chopping them down would leave substantial stumps and doesn't
make the soil usable for anything else.

I agree that you might learn to live with them. I think there is a drive by
people to erase everything "the previous homeowner" did, from the color of
the walls to the makeup of the landscape. I have seen people move in around
me who have removed wonderful plants only to put in some deadly common,
inappropriately sited plant from Wal-Mart that didn't survive the summer.
Then they get discouraged or lose interest and move on to the next project
leaving the landscape worse for their time and effort.