Old 01-08-2004, 04:19 PM
Layne

Default Help with moving perennials

Hi Faye,

Make sure to dig up all or most of the root ball and place in a
plastic bag and tie it up so it doesn't lose any moisture. Leaving the
plants in the plastic bags is okay for a day or two as long as the
roots don't dry out. If you can't plant right away and notice the
roots drying out spritz them. If you can't plant them for a while it
might be a good idea to poke holes in the bags and water accordingly.

My father who lives in Hawaii (where it's pratically summer long year
long) moves specimen trees for his bonsai this way. The important
thing is to keep the root ball moist and not let it dry out during the
move.

Hope this helps,

Layne

On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 07:09:12 -0400, "FayeC"
wrote:

snip
The thing is.....I never transplanted any perennial before. At least not my
own I mean so I have no clue of what to do to ensure both the root ball that
is staying and the one that is going live through it.

snip