Old 01-08-2004, 07:42 AM
Travis

Default weeds and thatch

Vox Humana wrote:

wrote in message
m...

I live in a suburb of Cleveland Ohio. My lawn, in the last 2 months
is getting a lot of weeds and it looks like I have a layer of thatch
between the blades of grass. I have a sprinkler system which waters 3
times a week, however we have had a wet summer so far. I have
fertilized using Scotts brand fertilizer during the cycles described
on the bag but the lawn doesn't look much better. I think I should
thatch the yard but am unsure if I should wait until fall and then
reseed and fertilize again. Is there anything I can do now,
escpecially before the weeds get much worse?

Grass needs between 1 and 1 1/2 inches of water a week to grow well. It is
also better to water deeply les frequently than to water lightly more
frequently. Therefore, I would re-think the sprinkler setting. You can
usually attach a water senor to prevent the system from operating when it
isn't needed. I wouldn't water more than twice a week.

For information on lawn and garden issues, you should check out the Ohio
Cooperative Extension Agency website:
http://ohioline.osu.edu/

It is better for the environment and your water bill to not water
lawns at all, just let the grass go dormant in the summer.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington