Old 01-08-2004, 02:32 PM
Flora

Default Apparent rust on acer pensylvanicum erythrocladum

Laurie Moseley wrote:

Thanks for the reply. We have two specimens. One has gone in only this year, so
we can't report properly on it. The other one has been in about a year, and
that is the one with the rust. However, it appears to be the same sort of rust
as many large-leaved acers get in summer, and its vigour does not seem to have
been affected. It has grown about 12 inches in 12 months.

So maybe just feed it and keep it well watered so it can cope with the
effects of the rust?

It has been grafted, but we do not know what the root stock is. The people from
whom we bought it did not know what the root stock was. We took a chance on it
being small rather than forest type.

In that case I suspect the nursery you bought from had themselves bought
it in from holland as a grafted specimen.

The pink bark with white stripes is gorgeous.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for your specimens to thrive.

If we learn any more, we'll let you know.

Laurie and Jan

Flora