Old 02-08-2004, 11:26 PM
simy1

Default Greenhouse Idea ???

"chaz" wrote in message ...
I am considering making a small greenhouse, before I actually make the
plunge into something legit. I can buy a greenhouse locally for about
1100.00 which would be an 8x10 portable unit. Its like a storage building,
but with translucent fiberglass panels, no floor, and windows for
ventalation.
I am looking at making a 10'x10' x 3' tall stucture from PVC and clear
plastic. I know its not a greenhouse, maybe a souped up cold frame, but it
would be cheap. I thought I could string up some lights (4?) to keep the
temps out of the freezing range? I have some lemon trees I want to grow over
the winter and there are too many to bring in doors.

I would love you guys to shoot holes in this idea. I have ZERO
experience with a greenhouse.

chaz

google "advice sought on hoophouse" in rec.gardens.edible. There was a
post by Bill Bolle in that thread that pointed me to how to make a
large and cheap hoophouse. I now have two of them (just built them),
26X13 each. I also have permanent PVC structures over three of my beds
(approximately 25X4) to overwinter vegetables (I pick them in January,
in Michigan, and overwintering lettuce is ready in April). One plastic
layer gives you 15F, so if you are within 1.5 zones of lemon growing,
you should be OK.