Old 03-08-2004, 05:18 PM
Bill Stock

Default How to winter over plants?

"chagoi" wrote in message
WilsonKKW wrote:

I have Hyancth(sp?)parrot feather, water lily.,lily pads.How do they

winter
over? I was told the hyancth will die off,I was wondering if I can bring

them
indoors and let them live in a bucket of water?
Kathy

WH will go from a vibrant healthy green, to a ugly mushy brown very
quickly when brought inside. That is unless you put them in a room with
a least a 1000W Metal Halide lamp over them, but then the cost of
running that light 8 - 10 hours a day for 3 - 4 months (at .11 cents a
KWH) will dwarf the cost of buying new plants the next spring.
.11/KWH X 8 hrs X 90-120 days = $80.00 - $120.00

Not to mention the cost of the fixture and bulb @$200.00.

$280.00 - $320.00 ? for a few "invasive weeds" My wallet says OUCH!!!

6 new WH (even at my LFS price of $3.50 ea. = $21.00
--
/\/\ike
Chagoi

My WH lasted the winter, but were looking a little brown by the end. I had
140 watts of CFL lighting. Problem was the GF ate all the roots. I think if
I'd add some Potassium they would have had a better chance of outgrowing the
GF. Two of the original plants are back in the pond with roots fully
recovered now. But they have not spread like last year, it's been too cold
and cloudy.