Old 07-08-2004, 11:39 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Default Chipmunks in Flower garden

Jutta Haas said:

I found that only at the beginning of the gardening season did my chipmunks
cause some dammage - mainly digging up impatients. After the third planting,
they left them alone. They live in my garden, and have for generations; I
just couldn't cart them away.

Well, I'd lived here more than ten years before ever seeing a chipmunk.
And my neighbor had lived here more than twice that. They might be
tolerable if it weren't for the burrows and the fact that this year, a group
moved into the *vegetable garden* where they were safe from cats and
other four-footed predators because of the fence. Those chipmunks
*most definitely* had to be removed. They all were transported to a more
woodsy setting on the other side of the river.

(attributed to Don Marti)