Old 06-08-2004, 10:02 PM
~ Windsong ~

Default How Do I Catch Babies?

"laskdfpoiwq" wrote in message
The koi in my 3 yr old pond have spawned! Woo Hoo! Didn't even know it
until I saw a 1 1/2 inch fish swimming amongst my much larger koi.

Turns out there are at least 4 that have made it past the big guys and
gotten large enough to swim more or less freely.

I want to put them in their own pond so they can grow up without

harrassment
(or ingestion) by the big guys and gals. The wife even came up with the
second pond idea. I guess I have her hooked now.

Any ideas on how to catch these little guys out of a heavily planted 2500
gallon pond? Are there "fish traps" out there that anyone has had success
with?

========================
Since we clean our ponds out at least every other year (we skip once in
awhile) we remove the young fish then. We cleaned the smaller 800 gallon
pond last weekend and removed 1 small koi and sold 32 extra Shubunkins. The
rest went back into spanking clean pond. Tomorrow we tackle the 2000 gallon
pond. They're easy to catch when you drain the pond down. They'll stay in
150 gal kiddy pools until the pond is refilled - culls will go to a local
Fish store. It's also a perfect time to thin out and replant overgrown
plants.

Your fish will love the water change too! :-)

--
Carol....
"Why is the 3rd hand on a watch called a second hand?"