Old 07-08-2004, 12:23 PM
datsy

Default aloe vera

I've got an aloe vera plant indoors - the type which has the spikes

growing
at 180 deg. rather than 90 deg. and the spikes are eventually flat

rather
than upright It had been leaning towards the light, I turned it round

and
it started growing back. But with a lot of new growth coming through, it

got
too top heavy and just flopped over today. It's only a hand's width to

the
growing tip but the new spikes are about 9" inches long. I've put a

stick in
to support it but it looks a bit silly. Any ideas on how to support it

or
strengthen it?
Thanks!

Put some nice pebbles in the pot and around the stem to support it :~)
Or maybe repot deeper?

Mine goes outside in the summer so it gets 360 degrees of sunshine.

I do like the pebble idea! I did have to repot it deeper earlier in the
year - it is the bottom which gets weakened because I take the bottom spikes
off when I use them for skin problems. It's only been 3 or 4 over the 18
months that I've had it and I have repotted to allow for this.

I posted back earlier that the light could be a problem as it's in a
north-facing bedroom. However, I've just looked at the one that I've got a
couple of feet away from the window in a south-facing room and that's
growing in the same shape as its mum (now with 3 babies of its own - these
things are worse than rabbits!) and growing towards the window. I'll try
taking them out but this is Scotland and we haven't actually seen that much
sun around here!