Old 07-08-2004, 01:51 PM
Spider

Default Can someone identify this please?

curiosity [email protected] wrote in message
Newbie needs help with garden just acquired

I'd be grateful if someone could identify from these pictures I've just

taken of
the shrub and its leaf.
It's a pleasant but uneveventful looking orb of about 5 feet in diameter.

I'd
like to cut it back into a smaller sphere but don't know what is

acceptable (or
when it should be done). Perhaps it produces flowers and I should wait?

help most appreciated.

http://www.geocities.com/quooriosity/whatsthis

http://www.geocities.com/quooriosity/leaf

Hi Curiosity,
It looks very like a Pittosporum to me, possibly tenuifolium sp.
I don't know the ideal pruning time, sorry. It does have *tiny* flowers,
but they're not really showy in most Pittosporums. (P. tobira has good,
scented flowers, but is borderline hardy).
Perhaps someone else know when to prune Pittosporum?
Spider