Old 07-08-2004, 03:57 PM
Pam - gardengal

Default Clematis

"Gerry Leath" wrote in message
We planted a 'President' Clematis in late June. It is in full sun and has
gotten plenty of water. It seems to be dying from the top down. The top
has brown leaves and the next lower ones are turning brown. What am I

doing
wrong or what should I be doing to save this plant. Thanks for any help.

Gail

Newly planted large flowering hybrid clematis are often subject to clematis
wilt, a vascular problem which prevents moisture and nutrients from being
drawn up through the plant tissues. The plant wilts and dries up, typically
from the top down. Cut back below the lowest signs of damage and keep the
plant well watered. It should come back fine next season - clematis wilt is
seldom fatal.

For future reference, species clematis are much more resistant to wilt than
the hybrids and you can often outsmart the wilt by careful planting. This
is a case of preparing a $50 planting hole for a $10 plant. Dig a hole 18"
deep and as wide and incorporate some compost into the back fill. Plant the
clematis 4-6" deeper than it was in the nursery container and water in well.
This will encourage the vine to produce additional shoots from the root
crown - the more top growth in terms of stems or vines, the less likely the
plant is to suffer from wilt. Clematis are also heavy feeders. Apply a
complete rose fertilizer to the root zone every 6 weeks during the growing
season.

pam - gardengal