Old 07-08-2004, 07:13 AM
sherwindu

Default help id this apple pest/disease

If you have Cedar Apple Rust, the best chemicals are Zineb or Ferban, both of
which are very difficult to find. I pulled out two Red Cedars near my trees,
but I
had additional problems with them, like hard to keep attractive, prune, etc.
As I
mentioned earlier, on this board on my message of July 22, 2004. There I
stated that Red Cedar's belong to the same family (Juniperous), as Junipers (
they are not true Cedars), so someone obviously miss-named the disease. Even
with Zineb and pruning out the growths on the Red Cedars, the problem
persisted. Unless you have a great attachment to the Junipers, pull them out.
My preferences are for apple trees
over ornamental trees, but you may think otherwise.

Sherwin Dubren

Barbara wrote:

I believe you are correct. I tried to do a search on the web for apple
diseases before I read your post. Indeed I have 5 junipers about 50-60 ft.
from the tree, I haven't checked them for galls yet. Also, the apple is
Jonathan, a susceptible variety. The junipers are well established and way
too big to pull out, would spraying the junipers and the apple tree be
sufficient to control/get rid of the disease?
Thanks

Barbara

Pat Kiewicz" wrote in message
Barbara said:

Hi
I have a 5 year old apple tree, (there are about 20 apples on it right

now)
At first glance I thought it was suffering from rust, but a closer look
revealed rust-colored spots on the leaves where something has punctured

the
leaf right through the center and there are "bristles" (legs?) on the
undersides of the leaves. What is this and what can I do to get rid of

it?
The fruit is untouched. If there is a place to post picture I will.

Cedar-apple rust is possible:
"In late spring or early summer, clusters of small orange-yellow, tubular

fruiting
bodies (aecia) project downward from these lower surface spots."

Any junipers in the area with strange growths?

http://fhpr8.srs.fs.fed.us/idotis/di.../cedarapp.html

http://www.ca.uky.edu/agc/pubs/ppa/ppa23/ppa23.htm

(attributed to Don Marti)