Old 07-08-2004, 07:31 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default need help with algae in pond

The problem is, you keep starting the cycle over each time you tear it down
and clean it, and you have too many fish for an outside pond. The koi will
get too big for 100 gallons right quick. Unless you plan to dig a bigger
pond soon, I suggest taking them back to the store and try to cycle the
pond with just the 2 goldfish.

Do you have plants in the pond? Lots of plants are needed to out compete
the algae. Do 10% water change outs once a week, allow fuzz algae to grow
on the sides. If and/or when it turns green, leave it, don't feed fish,
wait it out. The more plants you have the shorter the time will be, with a
enough plants, you may not go green at all. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 22:29:35 -0500, (GARAGE OWL) wrote:

Hello, i have a small yard pond about a 100 gallons, i have 2 goldfish
and 3 koi's

i also have a filter box that my pump fits in i have used pond blocks
for algae that treat 250 gallons and the algae keeps growing.
i have cleaned the pond 3 times this year and scrubed it with bleach and
rinsed it good and still it grows. is there anything else i can do.
i thought it wasn't circulating the water enough so i bought a fountain
and put it in and still a big green mess it takes about 3 to 4 weeks and
it is back. thanks