Old 07-08-2004, 10:17 PM
Sue

Default Propagating wintergreen?

"Charles Woolever" wrote in message
| I'm looking for tips on propagating wintergreen, the evergreen found in
| the Eastern U.S. I haven't found much on the web. It seems I can plant
| the seeds from the berries or take cuttings from the soft wood.
|
| Thanks,
|
| Charles Woolever

Where do you live Charles?????

IME, where conditions are friendly for Wintergreen ( AKA CheckerBerry,
Tea-Leaf) they spread in mat-like form all by themselves. Coastal Maine
( Hancock county) they are often found in competition with Mountain
Cranberry, in shallow, acid, forest soil over sharp shale and ledge (
glacial leavings). The soil is poor, the drainage constant.

200 miles west in Oxford County, I can't grow either of them on my
property. I have the acid, forest top layer, but the under-layment is
sandy loam ( old river-bottom).

I'm suggesting that propagation may not be your only problem-- if you
don't have the right conditions, they just won't thrive. They are "niche
growers".

My 2 cents, not to be a downer.

Sue
Western Maine