Old 07-08-2004, 09:33 AM
EV

Default Tomato varieties.

Steve wrote:

Dr. wrote:

Greetings,
I think I may know what I did wrong. I started them in my basement, which is
kinda cool.. as basements tend to be. I left them on the heat mat the entire
time. I'm thinking those seedlings may have grooved a little too much on all
that heat. The light was always withing a couple inches of the top of the
seedlings. They just got happy.

Next year, should I remove the heat mat right after they germinate?

I would (and in fact I do) use the heat only to get them to
germinate quickly. Then they go under the basement lights with no
heat added.
I think providing that heat not only makes them grow too big but
also makes them more tender. Maybe it didn't happen this year but
sometimes the weather might turn cold right after you get them into
the garden. Plans that grew slower under cooler conditions would be
less stressed by cooler weather.

Steve

I can't tell you how glad I am to hear you say that. I had a helluva time
starting my seedlings this year and resorted to a heating pad. Then I put them in
the cool window until I planted them out. It's been a very cool and wet season
here, but the tomatoes are handling it very well. The fruit is plentiful, if
behind in ripening, but the plants are very healthy.

EV