Old 08-08-2004, 09:09 AM
gregpresley

Default wild passion flower vine

Generally fruits that smell sweet are edible. (Those little things called
adaptation and survival of the fittest have taught them that the more
animals that eat the fruit, the more widely dispersed the seed will be).
(Kind of makes you wonder who was the first brave soul to eat a rhubarb
stalk - and if the person who ate the leaf first and croaked discouraged the
guy right behind him). As I recall from my florida days, the fruits of the
maypop start out dark green and gradually lighten until they are almost
yellow. By then, critters are discovering them, and at a minimum, birds will
be pecking at their skins to get at the sweet juice inside.
"Gloria" wrote in message
Are the fruits of wild passion flower vines edible? I have several vines
that have come up and have those beautiful purple flowers and have put on
several fruits. The fruits are kind of round, a little smaller than a

kiwi,
and right now they are green. How do you tell when they are ripe?

Thanks,
Gloria

---