Old 03-02-2003, 08:26 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Russian sends supplies up to space station

wrote in message
you would make the decision to send somebody up there with one before they

knew what
happened to Columbia and bring em back? really? INgrid

snip

Well, my point was one more of patriotic pride, with a touch of sparkle in
the eye of a shuttle fan. I was not taking issue with you. Hope it didn't
come across as such.

But sure, I would make that decision. Before I let a crew die in space, I
would take every possible action I could including launching another
shuttle. The space program has been highly successful, when you consider all
of the factors. I would not want to risk the lives of the people on board
the ISS while we figure out what happened down here. Columbia was a tragedy,
don't get me wrong. It chokes me up to think about it, but I think it would
be worse to tell the people in space, "sorry we're not coming to get you."

On a side note, some of the reports I have been hearing are beginning to
point more and more to the insulation that impacted the port wing on take
off. From what I have heard a temperature increase of 60 degrees over 5
minutes occured in that are of the vehicle. Moments later the sensors in
that area stopped sending telemetry. My gut tells me, NASA is now quite
aware of the cause, but are taking the appropriate steps before making an
announcement. Pure conjecture, I admit.

Either way, these vehicles have a long record of safety, and reliability. To
not launch again, would be mistake. I'd also add, that to launch again and
NOT expect another disaster would also be ignorant. Anytime, you are putting
people on a rocket and lighting a match under it, you are playing with
danger, and will eventually lose. It's part of the space game.

NASA built the shuttles to be a "shuttle" into space, a quick turn around. A
look at what we can do. Space is no longer the final frontier. *chuckle*
Unfortunately, their marketing has worked too well. We now consider space
travel, at least to low earth orbit, to be as simple as an airplane ride. We
take it for granted, IMHO. The fact that this vehicle could enter the
atmosphere again and again without a problem and land without power. THAT is
amazing. The fact that we have only lost 2...even more amazing to me.

My heart goes out to the families and all involved. Nothing I said above is
meant to be provacative, and I apologize now if it seems to be ore offends
anyone in anyway. That was not my intent.

BV.