Old 02-08-2004, 12:58 AM
RichToyBox

Default OASE Aquamax Stepped Hose Adaptor Question

Tom,

The reducing nipple is only a few inches long. It allows connection of each
of the sizes of tubing. Due to its short length, I don't think it will have
much effect. If he were to try to pump all that water a long way through
the 3/4 inch, then it would affect the flow.
--
RichToyBox
"Tom L. La Bron" wrote in message
RichToyBox,

I would tend to differ. I was using a 2,000gph pump
with a 5/8" pipe on it and when I switched to a 1" the
flow increased dramatically. I am not an engineer, but
I do know that decreasing the size of the orifice
increases the speed of the flow, but decreases the
pressure and decreases the amount of flow through the
orifice. I am pretty sure that you are not going to
get the same amount of flow in gph pumping through a
3/4 inch orifice as you would through a 1 1/2 inch
orifice, especially if you are pumping it any distance
around 20 feet.

My suggestion would be to cut it off. If you need a
smaller orifice latter on you can always reduce it
again through reducing nipples.

Tom L.L.
----------------------------------
RichToyBox wrote:
Yes and no. The short distance really doesn't have much effect on head
pressure. Head pressure caused by piping is usually expressed as X feet

of
head per hundred feet of pipe, so if the head pressure was 100 per

hundred
feet, which is a very large flow through a small pipe, it would

translate to
almost nothing in 6 or 8 inches. I don't think it would hurt to cut off

the
unused part of the tail.