Old 08-08-2004, 03:49 PM
Gaby Chaudry

Default WTB: rare (sub)tropical plants

Dave,

Well, I admire your determination

Thanks :-))

Aren't there really no collectors at all in Europe that have one??

The point to remember about this and one or two other natives of its
natural habitat is that the conditions are so difficult to emulate,
that few bother to try. It will only do well in regions of moderate
to low (or even nearly non-existent) rainfall and has a very high
light requirement.

The ideal plant for somebody who often forgets watering ;-))

of its region - Sturt's Desert Pea Swainsonia (Clianthus) formosa can
only be successfully grown in cultivation if grafted onto the more
easily grown Clianthus puniceus. Even then it only has a lifespan of
a few years away from arid, brighter regions.

I though Swainsonia is an annual plant? Or is it just grown as an annual?

[Boswellia seeds]
I doubt that is the problem. Most plants native to arid and semi-arid
regions have seeds that can remain viable for a very long time. This
way, when prolonged droughts occur, the species can regenerate from
seed when conditions become more amenable. My guess is that you have
not been able to break the dormancy. Try prolonged soaks of several
days, changing the water daily and maintaining temperatures of around
25C.

I shall try that, thanks!

Btw, Which plants do you have in your collection?

I usually only collect for growing out of doors. Luckily, the climate
here is generally so mild that most 'pot plants' do extremely well and
can make surprisingly impressive specimens.

Well, I'm not that lucky... Here in Munich this year we even had frost in
March..
My Oleander and Laurel were covered with snow - but fortunately it didn't do
them any harm. Temperatures here range from about -20 degrees in winter up
to more than 30 degrees in summer. Therefore, in summer, my balconies are
crowded - and in winter it's crowded inside...

I'm an avid admirer of true palms and have a modest collection of around 4

0
different species

Wow! I also would like to have palms, but I don't have the space

big bold plants such as the bananas and their relatives, gingers and
tropical aroids such as Colocasia, Alocasia etc.

Yes, I like them, too. But same problems as above. I've grown a couple of
Strelitzia nicolai from seeds, but I'm afraid I can only keep one of them.

So, around my garden, you are likely to see fairly common and familiar
'pot plants' such as Clivia miniata, Hippeastrum hybrids, Strelitzia
reginae, various Bilbergias and the like.

Do you have pictures on-line?

(typical ex-nurseryman!) I like plants that can do well. If they
don't, I have no qualms about getting rid of them to make room for
happier 'bed mates'.

:-)))

Bye, Gaby

--