Old 08-08-2004, 07:38 PM
Katra

Default Large animal turds in yard?

In article ,
escapee wrote:

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 18:25:00 -0500, Katra
opined:

Berry seeds? Probably racoon.

K.

Yes, this seems to be the consensus, along with the possibility of possum. I
think the size of the turds is more from a larger animal, but either is okay.
wonder how they can get in here. I have everything pretty well blocked off.
Do
these animals make any type of sounds?

Possums might hiss at you if you corner them. Other than that, they are
silent. Racoons will make a "churring" sound if they are bothered. Best
bet is to go out around midnight with a flashlight.

I am going to be converting quite a bit of the back garden into vegetable
garden
for the spring. I'm wondering now if I should plant some food these animals
like and fence in the garden where I will be eating from. I'm a vegetarian
and
I no longer trust the vegetables I buy at the grocery store. We do have a
Farmer's Market here in Round Rock, but I keep forgetting about it. I wish
they
would bring a Whole Foods up here.

Racoons adore wild persimmon, and that is an excellent xeriscaping
plant. Racoons also love fresh corn, and chickens or ducks if you have
poultry. :-P

They will also happily devour dry dog food. So will possums.

Thanks, everyone. I'll stay up one night and see what comes of it.

Victoria

Put out some DE and look for paw prints. :-)
DE is harmless to the environment. It only kills bugs.

K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...