Old 08-08-2004, 06:09 PM
Bob Hobden

Default Green tapioca in pond

"Sally Thompson" wrote in reply to my reply,

Well, I don't know how else to describe it! This is definitely not
blanket weed (which I do recognise), but we have something like green
tapioca in one of our smaller ponds. If I scoop it up in the net, it
is surprisingly heavy and it is very jelly like and slithery. It/they
seem to have a few bubbles round them, as well. Does anyone know what
it is? I have tried a search, but it's like a needle in a haystack.

I did wonder if it (they) were some kind of eggs attracting algae -
could it be snail's eggs, for instance? It's a bit late in the season
for some things. If they are eggs, I'll rush out and rescue them
from the bucket. Otherwise I'll chuck it on the compost.

One of the freshwater Sponges perhaps?

I hadn't ever thought of that, Bob. I've now looked at Google images
for these, and I can see why you suggested them - but I don't think
they are. As I said to Doug I'll take a picture tomorrow and put it
on the web site to see if that helps identification.
Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Take a look at http://www.broadwaters.fsnet.co.uk/inverteb.htm especially
the Ciliates photo and the sponge one underneath.

--
Regards
Bob