Old 08-08-2004, 11:43 PM
Sacha

Default rhododendron not looking healthy ..?

On 8/8/04 22:12, in article ,
"al" wrote:

I planted a rhododendron last autumn and it seemed to establish
itself ok during the year, but in the last month or so the ends of the
leaves have gone brown and brittle. I have to admit, I haven't watered it
much, but I didn't think it needed much water. I've also put plenty of
ericaceous fertilizer and peat around it, especially during the spring.

Any ideas what's wrong and what I can do, if anything, to correct it before
it dies? I can email a picture if needed.

I'm going to guess lack of water while it establishes itself. You don't say
where you live but here in the SW we've had long dry spells, even if they
weren't all hot, too. We've also had some strong winds and the two
conditions combined are dangerous to many plants.
Assuming it's in the ground and not in a pot, try watering it morning and
evening until real, serious rain sets in.
You don't say what your soil is like but I doubt you need to do more in that
line or not at present - the old saw is that you should never feed a sick
plant. AND, is it possible that it's been both dry at the root and in the
path of strong winds?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk