Old 08-08-2004, 10:31 PM
Marcella Tracy Peek

Default Tomato sauce question, sort of OT.

In article ,
"Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat" wrote:

I've asked this in rec.preserving but no reply so excuse me for asking again
here.

I am about to have a glut of tomatoes (my first year of growing them and I
went abit mad with the planting). I love tomato sauce for pasta and have had
a go making my own as my favourite shop bought brand has disappeared off the
shelves (and I've got all these tomatoes coming !) I've frozen a batch that
I made but I'd like to know, if I make some, pour into sterilized warmed
jars and pop a lid on, how long would this keep in the refridgerator
unopened ? Any ideas ? I eat alot of it so I guess it would be gone within a
week of opening but frozen never seems to taste the same somehow, for me. I
imagine I'm looking at a couple of weeks at the most ?

TIA in advance for any advice if anyone knows.

Rachael

I think your estimate of a couple of weeks is about right. A sterilized
jar with a lid popped on isn't preserved. For that you would either
need to do a boiling water bath or pressure canning session. Otherwise,
you could just as easily use a ziplock bag or tupperware and get the
same length of refrigerator storage.

marcella