Old 08-08-2004, 10:41 PM
Katra

Default Tomato sauce question, sort of OT.

In article ,
Marcella Tracy Peek wrote:

In article ,
"Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat" wrote:

I've asked this in rec.preserving but no reply so excuse me for asking again
here.

I am about to have a glut of tomatoes (my first year of growing them and I
went abit mad with the planting). I love tomato sauce for pasta and have had
a go making my own as my favourite shop bought brand has disappeared off the
shelves (and I've got all these tomatoes coming !) I've frozen a batch that
I made but I'd like to know, if I make some, pour into sterilized warmed
jars and pop a lid on, how long would this keep in the refridgerator
unopened ? Any ideas ? I eat alot of it so I guess it would be gone within a
week of opening but frozen never seems to taste the same somehow, for me. I
imagine I'm looking at a couple of weeks at the most ?

TIA in advance for any advice if anyone knows.

Rachael

I think your estimate of a couple of weeks is about right. A sterilized
jar with a lid popped on isn't preserved. For that you would either
need to do a boiling water bath or pressure canning session. Otherwise,
you could just as easily use a ziplock bag or tupperware and get the
same length of refrigerator storage.

marcella

I'm wondering why she just does not go ahead and can it? :-)

I simply juiced a bunch of my tomatoes with the Victorio strainer, then
froze the juice. I'll make sauce out of that then, and that should taste
ok. Especially with fresh herbs from the herb garden.

I dried the skins and seeds that came out of the strainer, then tossed
that mess back into the tomato garden. Many of the seedlings are now 3"
tall! That should be good for a fall crop.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...