Old 09-08-2004, 03:47 PM
brickled

Default watermelon growth

many things factor into how well your plants will do but most problems go
back to one's soil. do you regularly add organic matter? is it a clay or
sandy soil? have u received adequate moisture this year? have u kept the
weeds down to a minimum? are you growing a variety that's well suited for
the length of your growing season? u mentioned using miracle grow - have you
been careful not to over-fertilize (almost impossible if u use a slow
release organic source)?

are the flowers you're seeing the first flowers of the summer or has there
been plenty around for some time? realize that the very first flowers to
show up are male - it's not til later that the females show up - you have to
have both plus adequate polination.

here in michigan, the "icebox" varieties perform very well. i've had very
good luck with both "yellow baby" and "yellow doll." other icebox varieties
have been so traumatized by the rain/cold we often have right after
planting, that they seem to grow poorly the rest of the season.

we should be getting our first melon in another week or two. it's sad to say
but if you don't start seeing some melons starting very soon, u'll run out
of time before the first frost (assuming you're in zone 5 as myself).

plz answer the above ?'s and we can provide more insight...

"Theresa V." wrote in message
Hi,

I have gotten many vines moving out in all directions, plenty of yellow
flowers, but no fruit. I have it in full sun, too, and use miracle grow
every 2 weeks. It's almost the end of August. Am I doing something wrong?

Theresa