Old 08-08-2004, 06:50 PM
gng

Default Wish me luck

Thanks - it actually looks pretty good right now since the filter was
cleaned. But it looks as if I should change out the 1.5" to 2" if I want a
bigger waterfall. From what I can see, it looks pretty significant. Anyone
out there change out pipe size and notice a big difference? There are some
areas where it must stay 1.5", such as the pipe that is cemented into the
waterfall. Will this negate me changing out the rest of the pipe? Is the
flow only as good as the smallest pipe size?

"chagoi" wrote in message
chagoi wrote:

larger pipe = less restriction = more flow

I know this is for PVC, but it shows the relationship between different
sizes

Table1: Saturation Flow Rates for Schedule 40 PVC
Pipe Size Approximate Saturation Flow Rate
1 inch 25 GPM 1500 GPH
1 ½ inch 60 GPM 3600 GPH
2 inch 150 GPM 9000 GPH

Table 2: Maximum Recommended Flow Rates And Pump Sizes
for Various Pipe Sizes
Pipe Size Max Pump Size Approx. Flow Rate with Max Pump Size
1 inch 1/3 hp 15 GPM 900 GPH
1 ¼ inch ½ hp 25 GPM 2100 GPH
1 ½ inch ½ hp 45 GPM 2700 GPH
2 inch 1 hp 75 GPM 4500 GPH