Old 03-02-2003, 09:30 PM
Melissa

Default small pond filtration

We set up a pond for our turtle (RES we think) several weeks ago, and had
everything working well. During a brief cold snap, we brought the turtle in
when the temps were to be below freezing for a few hours, given that he'd up
until recently always been an indoor pet and I didn't feel he'd handle the
cold well. Unfortunately, we left our filter outside, and turned off.
Either the cold, or just coincidentally time has caused the filter to die.
I'm looking for suggestions for a new filter. The pond is on our patio, and
is raised, installed in a platform. We have an area in a corner where the
previous filter (a canister-Magnum HOT250) was installed with intake and
outlet tubes running under the rocks and dirt into the pond. We really
liked this setup, used the canister filter for a few years without any
trouble. It was easy to clean, and did a good job filtering both
mechanically, and biologically. The filter was on a 30 gallon long tank,
and we moved it to the 42 gallon pond. We can go with another Magnum
filter, upgrading to the 350 for greater filtration, or something else. You
can see our pond here. http://community.webshots.com/user/melnphil Click
on Vinta's Pond. If you can make any suggestions for an easy to use, not
very large filter for our set up, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm asking in
both rec.ponds and rec.pets.herp for many ideas. Thanks!

--
Melissa

Remove (yourshoes) to reply by email