Old 09-08-2004, 03:09 AM
Katra

Default Trapping and releasing squirrels

In article ,
"Jay Casey" wrote:

I have a family of 4-5 black squirrels that are damaging our flower beds,
pots,
and bird feeders. I have put up with them for a couple of years, but
decided
that they have to go now.

If black squirrels were not so rare and beautiful, I'd just suggest that
you shoot and eat them. ;-) Keep in mind tho' that they are territorial
creatures so once those are gone, more are going to move in.

It will be a never-ending chore so the money you are going to spend on a
good trap is well spent as the trap will last for many years. Some of my
traps are over 15 years old and just fine.

Be sure to take them at least 10 miles away and release them near a good
water source. Even public parks are ok. :-)

I would like to solicit your feedback on trapping and releasing them.
- What are some good "humane" traps? Manufacturer and model #?

Havahart traps, hands down, are the best and most commonly used.
Don't get the squirrel trap, get the next size up. Squirrels are smarter
than the trap makers give them credit for.

Use oatmeal mixed with p-nut butter for bait. They like that and it
sticks nicely to the bait station.

- Can I release them any where out in the country side, or is there
governing laws and regulations regarding releasing trapped animals?

Do you really care? ;-)

- After capturing the first one, would other squirrels figure it out and
avoid it?

That is why I suggested you use the larger trap. I use the one made for
small animals such as racoons and possums and yes, that will trap a
squirrel.

They shocked me on some occasions with their intelligence and ingenuity.
- Any general tips and hints on trapping squirrels?

See - bait suggestion. The larger trap will also be heavy enough so
that the squirrel won't tip it over and escape when it gets scared and
goes berzerk in the trap. If a squirrel gets trapped once and escapes,
it'll _never_ get trapped again so only a bullet will catch it.

Hope this helps???

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...