Old 09-08-2004, 07:05 PM
Sue da Nimm

Default Gardeners Delight cherry toms

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message
Hi,

I have an awful lot of Gardeners Delight this year - basically stuck one

in
each large pot with other veg. as these are listed as a trailing 'hanging
basket' tomato.

They seem different from other cherry tomatoes I have grown.

Instead of the green-yellow-orange-red colour change they seem to go
green-green/white-white/red-red.

The final red is more like an eating apple than a normal tomato.

The texture is also a bit 'mealy' and again not like other tomatoes.

Is this usual for this strain, or have I done something unusual to them?

Very odd.
Gardeners Delight are normally grown as cordons under glass or free outside.
I've not seen them grown as Tumblers.
Ripening colour sequence is normal, although mine tend to start off a much
deeper green than Shirly, Plum or Tumbler.
Flavour and texture are outstanding, second only to Tumblers in my view.
Did you grow from seed? Don't trust the garden centres - I saw a number of
obviously mis-labelled toms on sale at the start of this season.