Old 09-08-2004, 08:57 AM
gregpresley

Default How to slow grwoth of Eastern White Pines

It is not normally recommended to fertilize pines period. They are basically
trees happiest in less fertile soils, and also soils that are extremely
well-drained - even to the point of being sandy or dry. I think your idea of
pinching out the growing tips is probably fine, but how will you reach them
if they are they same height as your house? It's also possible that without
a leader, the tree might start trying to make new leaders from one or more
the side branches toward the top - so you'll have to pay attention to that
too.
"Shrek" wrote in message
Hello,
I have a privacy border along my house lined with Eastern White Pines. The

pines
have done quite well in the 4 years I have been in this new construction

home.
The pines are now about has high as my house and I really don't want them
getting much taller, and I want to maintain the shape of the tress which

are
full from top to bottom. I was told by some, to top the trees to maintain

height
and keeps them full, top to bottom. From my research on the Internet,

topping
is a no-no. My idea is, next spring when the terminal leader growth

appears is
to cut this before the wood hardens. This should maintain the height of

the
trees. Also, I will stop getting the trees fertilized each year, perhaps

just
fertilizing them very other year. Comments please...