Old 09-08-2004, 07:54 PM
Joe Doe

Default Trapping and releasing squirrels

In article ,
Victor Martinez wrote:

Joe Doe wrote:
I set a Haveaheart trap and caught a raccoon! I euthanized it with dry

What exactly did the racoon do to you that you had to kill it for?

Raccoons are one of the biggest reservoirs of rabies in the US. The
problem of raccoon rabies is widespread on the east coast. Texas does
not have a large raccoon rabies problem but as the links I provide
document, it is impossible to say if an animal is exposed or not. They
are also reservoirs of other diseases. I do not think it makes sense to
encourage them in a highly urban area.

This is a list of some of the problems that the last link provides:

"Raccoons also may carry fleas, ticks, lice, distemper, mange, rabies,
and canine and feline parovirus. The results of recent blood tests
conducted on raccoons in Utah indicated that over 80% of those tested
had been exposed to rabies as indicated by the presence of a rabies
titer. Raccoon feces may also contain the roundworm egg (Baylisacaris
procyonis). Humans, especially children, that come into contact with
raccoon feces containing eggs of this roundworm can also become
infected. Clinical symptoms depend on the number of roundworm larvae
present in the body and their location. If the larvae migrate to the
eyes or brain, blindness or death can be the end result."

If you are comfortable sharing your house with them be my guest.

Here are some links documenting what I said:

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ws/nwrc/re...es/rabies.html

http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh...es/history.htm

http://www.tdh.state.tx.us/lab/rab_tx.htm

http://wildtexas.com/wildguides/raccoon.php