Old 24-06-2004, 07:00 PM
Mike Martin

Default Info about plants millions of years ago

NO GRASS?!?!!?

"Inyo" wrote in message
om...
"ByoBlu" wrote in message

. ..

Hi,
I'm not an expert: therefor I came here since I believe you all are

the
right people to speak to.

I'm writing a fantasy book and have to collect a reasonable amount of
information about life 200 mya.

Since this is a question essentially about paleontology, you could
also try the newsgroup sci.bio.paleontology.

I have to discover what plants, vegetables, grass and so on would you

have
found if living there, and if they were acceptable food or was it

necessary
to cook or treat it to eliminate poison.
Any other information, even ideas, or useful relevant links is very
appreciated.

200 million years ago places you right smack dab in the middle of what
geologists and paleontologists call the Early Jurassic Period of the
Mesozoic Era--the age of dinosaurs. There were no grasses back
then--and flowering plants were nonexistent (although paleobotanical
discoveries keep pushing the first known flowering plant farther and
farther back in geologic time; right now, I believe the earliest
recognized flowering plant in the geologic record is somewhere around
127 million years old). Plant life was dominated by Sphenopsids
(horsetails) ferns, tree ferns, seed ferns, conifers (araucarians),
ginkgoes (still living today, of course), cycads, and cycadoids.

"Eight Miles High"--my solo, acoustic, instrumental 6-string guitar
version of the classic PopRock song made famous by The Byrds
(Clark/Hillman/Mcguinn composition)
http://members.aol.com/geowrs/music/eightmileshigh.html