Old 27-06-2004, 06:02 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Default What kinda tree is this ?

In article , Greasle
writes
aint got anny pictures of flowers or fruit (jet)
but the tree is in our front garden and i think ist exotic.
Our front garden is in The Netherlands. mid/north europe

Apart from Elm, _Ulmus_, possibilities are Hornbeam, _Carpinus_, and
Southern Beech, _Nothofagus_. For Roble Beech, _Nothofagus obliqua_
Mitchell refers to the "strikingly regular herring-bone shoots which fan
downwards and outwards in slender sprays". (The fruit is an 8x5 mm ovoid
at the base of each leaf.)

_Carpinus betulus_ typically has more pairs of veins than shown by your
photographs. This may not be the case for all other _Carpinus_ species.
It may also be worth looking at _Zelkova_ and Hop-Hornbeam, _Ostraya_.

Taking a leaf off the tree and photographing it in isolation may assist
in identification. According to Stace the asymmetrical leaf bases of
Ulmus are unmistakable, but we don't have a clear view of the leaf
bases.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley