Old 28-06-2004, 03:51 PM
marinus van der lubbe

Default What kinda tree is this ?

You got a picture of this little baby ?

Iris Cohen wrote:

ain't got any pictures of flowers or fruit (yet)

You are not likely to.

but the tree is in our front garden and i think it is exotic.
Our front garden is in The Netherlands.

Sorry, unless I am mistaken it is no more exotic than a windmill.

When I saw your first pictures, I thought "elm?" but I wasn't sure. Your
additional closeups and the parasite rang the bell. You have Dutch elm, Ulmus
xhollandica (minor x glabra or minor x plotii). I have a bonsai 'Jacqueline
Hillier', which is a dwarf variety of the same hybrid. When I put mine in front
of the computer and compared them, she yelled "Mama!"
Your parasite is a leaf gall mite. I get it occasionally on my Chinese elm. If
it gets too annoying, spray with a systemic insecticide. Over here we use
Orthenex.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."